The Sorcerer's Gem
A mysterious noble offers you a large sum of gold to retrieve a legendary gem for him. But he’s not the only one looking for the gem. Can you navigate the many subterranean perils inside the Cave of Mysteries, and make it home safely before trouble finds you?
Lord Bertrand Kraghammer doesn’t often leave his regal mansion (or have guests). In fact, no one in town is really sure what he does or what it looks like. So when he sent a messenger to invite you over for tea, you eagerly accepted.
He sits before you, teacup held delicately in his meaty fingers. You sip your tea in anticipation, waiting for him to talk. Finally, he speak…
I have an important mission that requires adventurers of a certain… pedigree. Brave. Strong. Discrete.
You may have heard stories about “the Sorcerer’s Gem,” a magic purple jewel that once belonged to the powerful Sorcerer Fenton Stormcloud, lost under mysterious circumstances?
Many think that the tale is just that, a story. But I have reason to believe that it’s real. My sources tell me that the Gem may be hidden deep within the Cave of Mysteries, within the Dark Forest.
I’d like you to find the Gem, retrieve it, and return it to me. And I’m willing to pay handsomely.
Reaching into a pocket inside his jacket, Lord Graghammer produces the largest sack of gold you’ve ever seen, and drops it onto the table in front of you with a long plonk.
- Does the Gem actually exist, or is it just a rumor?
- What do you know about the Cavern of Mysteries?
- What does the Gem do?
- Why are the elves interested in the Gem?
- Who else might be also be looking for it?
- Why does Lord Kraghammer want the Gem?
- [In Game] Why are the goblin’s capturing lizardfolk?
Locations, Events & Monsters
The Dark Forest To the East of the town of Farfaria, the Dark Forest is home to creatures of a more primal nature. Goblins. Lizardfolk. Wolves. Werebears. Unfortunately, it’s also where the entrance to the Cavern of Mysteries lies.
- The wolves are controlled by the sorcerer, Fenton Stormcloud, and track the players wherever they go (don’t reveal this to the players right away)
- Bandits attempt to rob the adventurers of their gold, or the Gem if their in possession of it
- The elves are also searching for the Sorcerer’s Gem, and want create an alliance
- The elves double cross the players
- Once in possession of the Gem, trees begin to come to life
The Cavern of Mysteries A deep, winding cave system with many entrances. It winds under most of Farfaria. Certain parts are completely sealed off by time or haven’t been explored in years. Many an adventurer has entered the caves… and never returned.
- A trap door gives way to another level of tunnels
- Water floods a chamber
- A troll accuses the players of trying to steal his gold
- A cave-in traps the players in a section of tunnel
- The only way forward is over a giant precipice that falls to unknown depths
- A low fog fills a section of tunnel… then turns into poison gas
- A chamber of ice creates cold slippery conditions, and contains an Ice Monster
- The walls of the tunnel appear to shift and move. It feels like they’ve been walking in circles.
- Once the gem in their possession, the party gets the feeling they’re being followed
Game Master Tips
- There are a few ways you can sequence certain events in this adventure. I would recommend…
- Giving the players the sense they’re being followed in the woods.
- Having the elves approach them to warm them that it’s dangerous, ask them why they’re there, and then ask for an alliance.
- Have wolves ambush them while talking to the elves. The elves help them fight.
- Enter the tunnels, find the gem, and so on.
- Have the elves double cross the players while still in the tunnels.
- Have the wolves attack again once out, get saved by goblins, who also try to steal the Gem.
- Find and free the lizardfolk, who then turn on the players.
- This adventure can be quite long. You might want to break it up over several sessions, or cut out the storylines with the goblins and elves