Lacey the Luck Dragon
The dragon who protects your village has lost her babies. She needs your help to get them back.
Lacey the Luck Dragon protects the forest and village from invaders. While out looking for food, her five baby dragons wandered off, and she can’t find them. She’s worried sick, and wants your help in locating them.
The babies just learned to fly, and aren’t very good at it. For protection, baby luck dragons can turn themselves invisible, making them hard to find. Baby dragons screech, scratch stuff with their claws, accidentally burn things, and smell like wet dog.
Until the babies are returned, she’ll be far too distressed to protect the village.
- What do you know about baby dragons?
- Where are they’re likely to have gone to or that could be especially dangerous?
- What kinds of dangers does Lacey the Luck Dragon protect the village from?
- Is there anyone else who might be looking for the baby dragons?
- [In Game] Why do the goblins want to take over the village?
- [In Game] What is the shopkeeper planning to do with the dragon?
In Media Res
You tried to be quiet, but you didn’t notice the loose golden chalice on the ground. It made just enough noise when you kicked it to wake up the sleeping ogre.
As he rubs the sleep from his eyes, he notices you and jumps up for the pile of smelly animal pelts he calls a bed. At least twice your height, his smelly, hot breath is overpowering as he yells,
What are you doing in me cave?
Behind him, locked in a cage, is one of the baby dragons the Luck Dragon asked you to find and return.
- One of you was reaching for a few of the ogre’s coins when it woke up. Who?
- One of you is behind the ogre, and they haven’t noticed you yet. Which one of you?
- Before you left, a rare animals dealer approached one of you and secretly offered you something in exchange for one of the baby dragons? Who, and what did they offer you?
- The baby dragon is cute, but dangerous. What happens if you try to pick it up without wearing gloves?
Locations, Events & Monsters
The Forest. Tall trees and tangles of vines provide ample places for baby dragons to get stuck.
- The baby dragon starts to fall from vines and is unable to fly
- Ambushed by bandits who attempt to buy (or steal) the dragon
- Surrounded by wolves or a bear after wandering off the beaten path
Spider Den. Among a grove a trees, a giant spider guards a massive web that could easy capture a baby dragon.
- If they take too long, spider eggs burst open, sending a swarm of baby spiders after the adventurers
Mountain Cliffs. High up on the edge of the cliffs, a dragon just learning to fly could easily find themselves unable to get down.
- After some time, goblins who live nearby hear the noise and come to check it out
- A rock slide (natural or set by the goblins) crashes down on the explorers
The Supply Shop. A remote supply shop provides food and goods to weary travelers. But you can’t help but notice something strange (smells, sounds, or smoke) coming from the the back room.
- The noise/smoke/odor from the back room grows more intense
- The shopkeep kicks the adventurers out of their store
- Bandits hear the commotion and seize the opportunity
Cave of the Sleeping Ogre. A cave system is home to a giant ogre and his cavern home. He happens to be asleep at the moment, but a giant pile of gold (and a baby dragon) lie behind him.
- The ogre awakes… and he’s not happy!
The Tunnels. Beyond the Sleeping Ogre’s home is a network of tunnels. Adventurers can escape into them if needed.
- The tunnel caves in
- A section of floor collapses beneath the adventurers
- A mysterious gas fills the tunnel
- A deep pool of water blocks their way. There seems to be an opening at the bottom of it.
- A magical darkness envelops the party
Game Master Tips
- If the baby dragons aren’t returned in time, goblins ambush the unprotected village. The players will need to decide how to focus their time at that point: on rescuing the baby dragons, or protecting the village.
- If you want a longer campaign, have the bandits make off with a dragon. It will create an additional side campaign the players will need to complete.